The (Potential, Hopeful) Rise Of Bike Shorts

Discuss the site, what you want to see, real life sightings you wish to share, or just your take on the subject of women in spandex! (and only women in spandex please)
pocketless
Lycra Fanatic

The (Potential, Hopeful) Rise Of Bike Shorts

Post by pocketless »

Ever since I knew that I loved spandex, Bike shorts has been far and away my number one favorite spandex delivery method.
It's been over almost a decade of leggings being mainstream, and the entire time I fantasized about bike shorts becoming just as mainstream.
And it's starting to feel like we're getting very, very close!

I gotta say, Kim Kardashian and Kanye West has my utmost respect. Without them, none of this would have ever happened.
(Or at least, not as soon.)
It all started in 2016 when she first stepped out in these
And was shortly followed by these, shinier, slightly ill-fighting pair (Which she eventually sold on her website)
And then in 2017 she started modeling the Yeezy Season 6 line of clothes, featuring unfortunately bland and non-shiny bike shorts
There was plenty of other sightings of here in bike shorts, some bad, some okay.
But nothing, absolutely nothing compares to these absolute blinders she debuted in japan, apparently apart of the Yeezy season 7.
Image Image Image
Unfortunately these have yet to be released, but dupes have already started to crop up!
Here's some links to sites already selling shiny bike shorts!
And it feels like another dupe pops up once a week.

https://www.prettylittlething.us/silver ... short.html#
https://www.fashionnova.com/products/cu ... orts-black
https://www.missyroseclothing.com/produ ... ing-shorts
https://bellenbrand.com/index.php/produ ... er-shorts/

So, how do y'all feel about bike shorts? Do you feel like they'll catch on the same way leggings did oh so many years ago?
Sorry for the long post, I just really felt like typing up something about this subject, and to maybe get a discussion going!
Avatar is from SGT. Kabukiman NYPD
MY HOLY GRAIL IS A CLEAN, NO SUBTITLES COPY OF THE FILM
STEALTHHUNTERS/SOLDADO DO FUTURO (1991)
twitter.com/PocketlessTweet
Follow for spandex musings!
Copyright @ TPOWIS - Original Spandex Videos
ShinySpandexLvr
Lycra Fan

Re: The (Potential, Hopeful) Rise Of Bike Shorts

Post by ShinySpandexLvr »

Let's hope so. The ones from Fashion Nova are nice, but I don't much care for the outside seam down the legs. They just came out with Silver, which look like they will be nice. Lately my wife has been complaining about these shorts being a little too hot to wear and that they don't breathe as she can see sweat/moisture on her chair when she stands up LOL.
pocketless
Lycra Fanatic

Post by pocketless »

So, it's been 2 years since this thread!
And I am so proud to say that biker shorts ARE popular!
They're huge now!
Every single day you can go on instagram and search through the various tags to find dozens, if not HUNDREDS of pics of biker shorts!
Unfortunately the vast majority are non-shiny.
But I do feel like there's a good majority that are!

I look at the google trends page, and I smile.
I always dreamed of this day becoming reality, and here it is!
It's a shame there's no festivals this year, because those are an ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE source of biker shorts pics!

The trajectory of biker shorts becoming popular is very similar to the path Leggings took when they first started taking off over a decade ago.
As you can see by this, leggings are more popular in the colder months.
The cool thing about biker shorts are that they make is so chicks can wear spandex all year long!

I'm seeing more and more posts of people saying things like "I used to hate them, but I tried some and now I love them!"
All very promising signs that these will have the same staying power as leggings.
Here's to a bright future my friends,
Lycrafan2004
Spandex Enthusiast

Post by Lycrafan2004 »

hopefully this will be recognized here too!
Women's legs are the compasses that survey the globe in all cardinal points and give it equilibrium and harmony. (Francois Truffaut)
gabynylons
Lycra Fanatic

Post by gabynylons »

pocketless wrote:So, it's been 2 years since this thread!
And I am so proud to say that biker shorts ARE popular!
Here's a little taste of that... and she is Kim, of course!!! :D

pocketless
Lycra Fanatic

Post by pocketless »

Well, this is rather concerning.

Yes, 2021 brought a very noticeable decrease on google trends.
While this graph may seem dire, I'm not losing hope quite yet.
My theory is that maybe 2020 being the year it was, with us all cooped inside maybe artificially boosted the results for that year?
I know for a fact that I saw more biker shorts in person this year than previous years, so that's a good sign!
I work at a place with a lot of traffic, and not exactly the most trendy of traffic either, so I think it's a decent measuring stick to see how "normal" they are.

Though that doesn't mean it was all sunshine and rainbows.
With 2021 brought decreased restrictions on social gatherings, whether premature or not, it happened.
And with it, brought the return of music festivals!
Now, in 2019, the last normal year, biker shorts were EVERYWHERE at festivals.
You could honestly drop a penny on the ground and it would land on someone wearing biker shorts.
And half the time they were proper, amazing, shiny spandex biker shorts!
I spend countless hours scrolling through the infinite feeds of festivals browsing a seemingly infinite supply of biker shorts content.
Sadly 2021 did not continue this trend.
As I halfheartedly scroll through this year's festivals I see an endless ocean of the typical festival garb.
Your tiny jean shorts, skirts, and bikini bottoms. Hot for some people I'm sure, but as a spandex lover this does little for me.
You see the occasional pair of biker shorts, but it's closer to being a drop of water in the desert as opposed to the waterfall of riches it once was.
And almost none of them are shiny.

But to end on a high note, last year something interesting happened.
I noticed that in Peru, there was an explosion of small shops selling amazing shiny biker shorts.
There's a lot of copying here. You'll find copies of the same pics on many different pages, which can make searching a bit frustrating.
All of these shops are very small, and seem to be people selling out of their homes as a sort of side hustle maybe?
It was super active around this time last year but has really died down.
I don't know if this is simply a seasonal thing, or if it was only a passing fad.
I don't speak the language so I can only search so much but here's a sample of some pics I've found recently.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Anyway, that's all for me this time.
Hopefully by the time I'm updating this thread next year I will come bearing good news!